Ever since I installed iOS5 Beta firmware, I was curious to try out iCloud. It has so many amazing features like new notifications, over the air print for map, camera grid, better photo editing options to name few. Everything else was working except iCloud. Every time I tried it used to say “Your Apple ID is correct but the device is not registered/eligible for iCloud”. I thought may be it has something to do with the hardware.
Earlier today my friend told me that iCloud beta is released, and curiously I tried again and it worked and worked like magic.
For those who are listening first time about iCloud, this is a content integration platform which integrates all your contents and makes it available on all your apple devices like iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Mac. Everything happens over the air (wirelessly). Not only that, it makes all the app purchases available to all your devices. Apart from synchronizing it takes a back up of all the data (currently up to 5MB) and make it available on cloud. So if your device gets crashed, you don’t loose the data ever.
In this beta release it has got the following features:
- Mail : Synchronizes and takes backup of mails in your inbox and makes it available on other devices
- Contacts : Synchronizes and backs up your contacts
- Calendar : Synchronizes and take backup of your Calendar Events
- Find my iPhone: Locate your device, send message, lock and wipe data
- iWork: Office suite, backs up all documents, presentations
The first look is amazing with future scope to support photo, music, app, video synchronization. Won’t be surprised if they plan to store the snapshot of the system like how they do it on time machine.